Monday, August 29, 2011

Not a very typical morning

Today started out like most of our other mornings, well at least one thing was normal about this morning.  Weston was stirring a little in his crib making some noise, but not ready to fully wake up.  (He does this every morning) He usually just wants us to put in the binki and he goes right back to sleep.  So Chris got up and went up stairs and put his bink in.  ---- And then this is where our everyday, normal morning turned out to be not so normal. ----  He came back down stairs and instead of getting back into bed for 30 min or so before he needed to get up, he went into the bathroom and grabbed his glasses and started putting on some clothes.. (no he wasn't naked, he was putting on clothes to go outside, again, it's just after 6:00 am) So I said, "what are you doing?" and he replied, "there is smoke coming from our back neighbors house." So I then jumped out of bed and looked out my blinds and fair enough, there was smoke, a lot of it, coming from our neighbors house. So I threw on some clothes,  grabbed my phone and went outside.  And to our surprise the curious smoke was this house on FIRE!
I took this photo with my phone right before the firefighters started spraying.
No one else was around or outside so we figured there was still people sleeping inside.  So Chris started banging on doors and was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher and I ran around to the back door and started yelling and lucky for me and those inside the house, their back door was unlocked, so I opened it and stepped in and started yelling "THERES AND FIRE! WAKE UP! GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE!"  and luckily a colleged aged girl woke up and got her father and they got out of the house. Shortly after the fire trucks and fire fighters were there and in not time the fire was out.  I am happy to say, everyone is okay. So a big thanks to Weston for wanting his binki this morning, and a huge thank you to Chris for paying enough attention to notice that something wasn't right... otherwise, there may have been a more tragic ending. 
 Just a side note, we watched this side of the house go up in flames rather fast, I was surpised at how long it took for the smoke detectors to go off.  So check your smoke detectors and make sure your batteries are good.


Debbie said...

That is so scary. I am going to check our smoke detectors. Thanks for the warning!

Emily and Ryan said...

Wow that is so crazy!! Thank goodness you guys were there and did something about it! Looks like you had fun on your McCall trip!

krystal said...

wow walker i had no idea... is it your neighbor right behind you? you guys are awesome and i know they're greatful. well done good citizen of moscow.